Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mason Jar/ Heart Door Hanging

 


 

 
So when my sweetheart brings me home flowers one of my favorite things to do is to put them in my mason jar/ heart door hanger. They just welcome me home. Even when I don't have flowers or right now it's so cold outside here in Utah my fresh flowers would freeze. So I put in some fake flowers. Either way this is a great easy project. We did it for our Church Craft Day so for those of you who were not able to come but wanted to know how to make it here is a step by step tutorial.
 
Note: In this tutorial I will also teach how to get that aged look by using Vaseline when painting the heart. You don't have to do that you can just paint the heart one color and skip to step five. Also, I will post another tutorial on how to make the bow so this post isn't so long.
 
Let's get started...
 
What you will need:
 
  • Wood heart (This one was cut out of wood thank you Tina Sillito, but you can find something similar at a craft store)
  • Quart Mason Jar
  • Wire Hanger
  • Paint (I used craft paint: American-Burnt Umber for the base coat and FolkArt-Jamaican Sea for the top coat)
  • Foam bush
  • Vaseline
  • Sandpaper
  • Ribbon
 

To Make:

First. Paint the heart. Like I said I will be showing you how to get the aged paint look. So first paint your base coat. I used American-Burnt Umber aka. brown.
Second. When the base coat is dry rub some Vaseline on your project with your fingers where you want the base coat to show through the top coat.
 
 
For this project I rub some on the sides and two spots on the front of the heart. Hopefully you can see where I put the Vaseline in the following picture.
Third. Paint on your top coat. I used FolkArt-Jamaican sea which is a pretty turquoise color.
 
Fourth. When the top coat is dry use your finger nail to scrape off the top coat where you applied Vaseline.

 
This is what it will look like after you scrape the paint off which is nice but we will take a step further...


Use some sandpaper to scrape up the top coat some more to give your project a beautiful aged looked. Generally you like to go along the edges, but there is no wrong way to do it cause the more you sand  the older and worn your project looks.

See how pretty it looks now.
Fifth. Now to attach the mason jar to the heart. Take the wire hanger and untwist it and use it to wrap around the mouth of your jar.
 
 



 
Sixth. On the heart there are four holes drilled. One set of holes are towards the edge of the heart and one set is lower and closer together. Feed the two ends of the wire hanger through the lower set of holes.
 

Seventh. On the back of the heart bend the wire up towards the other set of holes and feed the wire through them.

 
Eighth. Bend the wire up and twist it on itself to make a hoop to hang up your heart.






Ninth. Add a bow to the top of the wire. Like I said I will do another tutorial on how to make the bow. Then add flowers and hang and enjoy.



Hope you have fun with this project let me Know how goes and leave a comment.
 
Your Crafty Friend,
 
Desiree














No comments:

Post a Comment